Sunday, February 28, 2010

Africa 2010

Below are a few of my favorite photos...there are so many to choose from. I may add more later. Hope you like getting a taste of what life is like there.





Another corner of the compound/house...the family includes the animals.





Cooking in Africa....These photos are taken inside the home of a family that we just walked by and asked if we could come in and take some photos. The people are all so friendly. They are cooking the same beans/nuts that you see being washed in the river above. They then pound it and make it into a past or dried powder to be used in sauces as a flavoring. The bottom photo is their oven to bake things. Makes you appreciate our stoves and electricity. Big pots-eh...







Mother and baby...below
























This little girl took care of her baby sister/brother for 4 days while her mother had surgery. It was interesting how well she did in caring for her. While her mother was in the OR I saw her with the baby tied on her back like all the other women do and then later I saw her trying to feed him some "millet mush" with a spoon made from a gord. This was all out in the dirt yard area. They would sleep there each night or on the floor by her mother in the post -op area. I saw the father around some, but this little girl took care of the baby.



I went to Ouelessebougou, Mali, Africa on December 27th. This year was again enjoyable, but different with some political issues along with communication that lessened the amount of surgeries that we would usually do. In the end, we have made progress for the futue.

2 comments:

Patsy Mecham said...

What nice photos. You are getting good. Interesting. We are so blessed, I think???

Marriott's said...

Those are some very awesome and heartwrenching photos. I wish I could have been there with you. Seeing these photos makes me think and appreciate ALL the things I have in my life. Thanks for sharing.