The tree did have a bumper crop of apricots, but again the tree had always seemed to abundantly produce apricots for many to enjoy, and this was with very little care. Even without being sprayed the fruit never had any worms or bugs. We had made lots of Jam from this tree through the years. It was the one tree that had remained in the "Orchard Grove" that had once had many trees according to Grandpa's history. I had only remembered one other old pear tree to the east when I was a small child. I do remember roasting hotdogs and marshmallows over a fire pit in the grassy area between.
As I thought about this great tree with its history, it made me think of how strong, loyal, and faithful it had been in giving of itself, right up untill the very end. Dad (Grandpa Ed) says that the tree had been there as long as he could remember and Owen Wayment (who is about 10 yrs. older than Dad) also states the same thing. We estimate the tree to be near 100 years old. It appeared that the trunk had rotted out and broke near the bottom. It was amazing that it had never declined in production of fruit even though it was fighting to stay alive. It was sad to see such a giant fall, and also the end of an era. Enjoy the apricot jam and heritage that our Grandparents have left us from their hard work.
1 comment:
Thanks for all the stories and the pictures! I hadn't even thought that if we had been there it could have been a disaster for us. We truly are blessed! Thank you for sharing the apricots with us. We are set with Apricot jam for awhile! :)
Post a Comment